Monday, September 23, 2013

Chicken-Mudliara




In my whole life.........one thing which I dread is coming in eye-contact with birds. And Hens I cant bear to see.......grrrrrrrr....the  so called Bird-phobia from childhood. U ask my sister and she will have long stories to narrate about this...anyway today’s discussion is about cooking not phobias...so if I cant bear their sight how can I eat them?? No, never...... But yeah a stringent non-veg eater till I got married which included (eggs, meat and seafood...slurrrp  yummmm) Then, one day  I got married and went to a typical Satvik Mudaliar family where  I could never lay my hands on all the above stuff...So, whenever I was in Nagpur – it was a non-veg feast for me....and my mom is one of the best non-veg cooks in our family. So Nagpur times were always Morning -night  hogging. And one fine day I just left eating Non-veg...my mother still doesn’t believe this. But the story doesn’t end here.....Genes had to speak.......Both my princes love to eat non-veg food......so I delightfully cook for them now..........here’s one for you all.....sharing


Chicken-Mudliara


Ingredients:
 
1 Kg Broiler/Gavrani chicken
2 Big Onions
3 Big Tomatoes
5 Green chillies
8-9 Garlic pods
2” piece of Ginger
A bunch of coriander
A bunch of mint leaves
A small piece of coconut
1 tsp Goda Masala
1 tsp Turmeric Powder
1 tsp Dry coriander Powder
2 tsp of Khuskhus
5-6 Black pepper
2 sticks of cinnamon
A bit of Javitri
2 Big Cardamoms (Badi ilaichi)
2 Bay leaves
1 tsp cumin seeds
3-4 Tablespoons of Oil
2 tablespoons of curd
Salt as per taste

Method: Marinate the Chicken with all the dry masala (except Goda masala),salt and curd. Leave aside for 3 hours (at least)

For Gravy: Heat the pan. Pour a bit of oil and add Cummin seeds, Black pepper,  Big cardamoms, Javitri, cinnamon and allow it to splutter. Add coconut,khuskhus, chopped onions, garlic and ginger. Fry till golden brown. Add the chopped tomatoes, mint leaves and coriander leaves and fry properly. Add salt and goda masala too. Let it cool. Grind it in a Mixer to a fine paste.  Heat remaining oil in a Cooker if you want to make it fast or a typical Mudaliar Style of slow heating process in a Kadhai on simmer. Add bay leaves and the paste and fry till oil leaves the surface. Add the marinated Chicken and mix it thoroughly.Add some warm water and allow it to cook.


(Coconut and Khuskhus are two main ingredients of South Indian Cooking. You will find them using it every now and then...This actually gives a thick consistency to the gravy) and mint leaves add that extra flavour....... Try it.

1 comment: